We will be launching our 2014 Burgundy En Primeur offer next week. We tasted the ’14s from barrel in Burgundy last year and we were very pleased with the quality. It is always a challenge to taste before the wines are bottled but the ’14 Reds showed tremendous amount of seductive fruit and early charm. The ’14 Whites meanwhile is as great as what critics say, truly a vintage to lay down some good quantities in the cellar. We have beefed up our white Burgundy selection this year so there will be something for everyone. Do refer your friends or colleagues to us if they might be interested in snagging some great Burgundies! Our sharp prices can only be sustained if we have your support.
What is En Primeur?
It is a term used for buying wines before they are bottled or shipped. It is also known as wine futures.
Why buy En Primeur?
The prices for the En Primeur (EP) offers will be the lowest possible for us. Those who have bought from us before will know our prices are probably the most competitive in the local market. We will never discount the wine further beyond the EP price. It is also the best way to secure an allocation for hard to get wines which are limited in quantity and will likely be gone when they are physically available.
If you need some advise, feel free to ask us or refer to the 2014 Burgundy reviews released so far:
- Neal Martin from The Wine Advocate.
- Allen Meadows from Burghound (only Cote de Nuits)
- John Gilman from View from the Cellar.
- Tim Atkin from TimAtkin.com *scores are free*
- Jancis Robinson from JancisRobinson.com
- Bill Nanson from Burgundy Report.
- Claude Kolm from The Fine Wine Review. *free*
Some key points for our offers which may differ from other merchants:
- We do not offer all the Domaines at one go. We realize it can be quite taxing to fork out a massive sum in one shot so we will spread out our offers over a few months. No further discount for these wines. Wines will arrive in second half of 2016.
- Unlike orders in cases of 6s or 12s required by merchants elsewhere, in most cases we only require orders in multiples of 3s so that you can try more cuvees. That’s what Burgundy is all about.
- The prices quoted includes GST but not shipping/duty. Note that some other merchant’s offer might not include GST. A fee of about $15 per 750ml bottle will be charged when the wines physically arrive in Singapore.
- We would like to apologize in advance that, just like all major Burgundy merchants, we are unable to sell top Grand Cru and Premier Cru or wines from particularly sought after Domainesby itself – we cannot buy them from the Domaines that way ourselves. Priority for wines labeled as “on allocation” will be given to those who buy across the range.
- If you’ve bought the ’13s of the same wine from us, we will automatically offer the same wines of the ’14s to you – especially the ones on allocation.
What can WEA offer for 2014 Burgundies?
The following Domaines are confirmed and along the year there might be some exciting additions as well. If you have a wish list, do let us know in advance.
Cote de Nuits
- Berthaut (Fixin) – Princess of Fixin
- Duroché (Gevrey-Chambertin) – Rising Risen Star this Year
- Gérard Mugneret (Vosne-Romanee) – Insider’s Secret in Vosne
- Heresztyn-Mazzini (Gevrey-Chambertin) – Classic Gevreys from a New Regime
- Hudelot-Noëllat (Vougeot) *NEW* – Continuing the Legacy
- Jacques Cacheux (Vosne-Romanee) – Undiscovered Pearl of Vosne
- Xxxx-Xxxxx Xxxxxxxx (Gevrey-Chambertin) *NEW* – Exciting new range from the Master
- Marc Roy (Gevrey-Chambertin) – Humble Vineyards, Opulent Gevreys
- Mongeard-Mugneret (Vosne-Romanee) – Historical Domaine on the Move
- Nathalie Vigot (Vosne-Romanee) *NEW* – The 4-Barrel Domaine
- Robert Sirugue (Vosne-Romanee) – Apostle of the Pearl
Cote de Beaune
- Antoine Jobard (Meursault) – Finest Young Star in Meursault
- Bernard Moreau (Chassagne-Montrachet) *NEW* – Life-Changing Chassagnes
- Caroline Morey (Chassagne-Montrachet) *NEW* – Historical Domaine Rejuvenated
- Hubert Lamy (St Aubin) – The Standard-Bearer of St Aubin
- Jean-Marc Bouley (Volnay) – The Princeling of Volnay
- Meuneveaux (Aloxe-Corton) – Honest to Goodness Cortons
- XXXX (Chassagne-Montrachet) *NEW* – King of the South